Tarpon Fishing Tips - How To Catch Tarpon
Tarpon are known as silver kings and can grow upwards of 150 pounds. Tarpon owe
of their fame to their large size and their habit of making wild, spectacular leaps
after being hooked. They are true big-game fish, yet can be caught from the smallest of boats, and even from shore.
The tarpon's diet include mostly school fish s uch as sardines, anchovies or mullet, and
crustaceans. A great method for tarpon fishing is to fish with live crabs down near
the bottom of deep holes where tarpon congregate.
There are more tips and secrets to catching tarpon. Here is a
collection of some of those tarpon fishing tips. Please browse around and enjoy our tarpon fishing tips.
If you have a tarpon fishing tip you would like to share please email it to email@example.com
- Fish deep holes on low tides and shallow areas on high tides.
- Large pinfish, threadfins, shiners and blue crabs are the best live baits to cast at the tarpon when
you spot them on or near the surface.
- Anchor up current from the tarpon and let the bait float to the tarpon.
- Make sure your hooks are extremely sharp to be able to penetrate the rock hard jaw of a tarpon.
- If you are fishing shallow for tarpon it is hard to keep them hooked because you don't have enough time to
wear them down.
- The best dead baits are catfish tails and cut Spanish mackerel.
- When using live bait (mullets, crab, shrimp) best results are at night when tarpon are on the hunt.
- In Florida, live blue crab is a great bait to use for catching the mighty tarpon.
- Try to match what the fish are feeding on, figure out when that feeding is occurring, and position baits at
the optimal level. It's hard to go wrong fishing for tarpon with live bait in a pass.
- Tarpon are strong fighters. It is best to let them run in the water to tire them out but make sure
that the drag is not set too tight.
- Check with local bait and tackle shop to find out what the locals are using to catch tarpon. You can
usually get some hot tips on the best working techniques.
- If you want to improve you chances of catching a tarpon, it is best to use a heavy spinning rod set up to
catch a 100 pound fish.
- Fishing around bridges at night is a great way to catch tarpon. The lights will attract them and
since they are nocturnal they are actively feeding at night.
- Tarpon don't like a lot of noise and are easily spooked.
- Vary your techniques to find out what works best. Try different depths to fish in and use varied
bait and lures.